August 2015 State of the Society
Please add your characters to the website!
Once you logged on and view your dashboard, click the “Add a new character” button and follow the steps to create a character.
So after a tiny amount of teething problems, the character profiler is now up on the website.
It might not seem like much, but if we have your characters we can start doing things like recording which character was played at which game, and therefore calculate XP for you.
Other advantages are mostly administrative at the moment, but it’ll mean you don’t have to fill in all those “I’m a daeva carthian’ questions on forms for nationals and weekenders, because we’ll know.
It also allows us to show the Genre level storytellers what the balance of the various subgroups in their genre are so that they can balance their national plots accordingly.
Oh and if you see a weird name on an email, you can look them up in the character index, though feel free to continue using the wiki’s for now if you want
And did I mention XP calculation? I know a lot of people are struggling with this at the moment.
Plus! It will let us set up Clan/Covenant etc email lists, and in short order the web team will add a ‘Group’ functionality, so you can additionally be part of a Cabal or Motley, etc, and we can do mailing lists for them as well.
Lots of benefits, and they’ve spent some time trying to make it user-friendly and visually appealing, so it shouldn’t be too bad.
As a bonus we’ve added the ability for characters to quote on each other, because that seemed like a fun thing people were using the wiki for.
If there’s other small things that you think could be added to the character profiles, let the web team know and they’ll see if I can spare some time to do them (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The wonderful Fran and Pam have requested for the election of Games Manager (GM) to commence. This is to allow for the new GM to be elected before and included in the process of the 6 month review, with a vision that they would not be expected to start full time until after Christmas!
Any full member of the society may apply and should send an application to me at email@example.com with the subject line “Games Manager Application”.
Applications should contain the following:
- Membership Number
- Short statement (no more than 500 words) of why you would make a good GM and what your vision for the role is.
All applications should reach me by midnight on the 20th September.
This will be posted on UK General, UK Announce, G+ and Facebook, but please forward to local lists so that everyone is aware of this election.
I include a full (provisional) job description below (from the new handbook) but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Games Manager (GM)
Responsible to the NC who will run the election and authorise volunteer rewards and is the supervising officer. Reports to membership via State of Society emails on a regular basis (typically monthly). Maintains regular dialogue with the Board.
- Fostering communication between Storytellers within the Domains covered by Isles of Darkness and file Storyteller reports.
- Constructing the theme, mood and atmosphere of the nation, giving the nation an identity and ensuring that the game play is fitting. Reviewing this annually with the Team to develop themes as the Chronicle grows.
- Support and oversee the GST and UST National team.
- Providing advice to and mentor other Storytellers with the Isles of Darkness to help them improve their skills.
- Planning and overseeing the delivery of Nationals by the National team and other volunteers.
- Handling ST related disputes when referred to by DSTs.
- Liaising with the C Chain for inter-chain issues
- Planning and organising the full system review 6 months into the new Chronicle.
Has the power to:
- De-sanction characters
- Rewrite story-lines, if in their judgement, the resulting effects would be unacceptably damaging to the Chronicle.
- Remove or suspend a DST or LST.
The Games Manager has the final say and power of veto over any decisions in the ST Chain. The veto must be exercised within one week of the decision being notified to the GM or the decision is deemed to be ratified. The veto will consist of a notification that the veto may be exercised within one week, and confirmation of the veto within three weeks to allow for clarification or further investigation.
Deputy Chair of the IoD Board
The Lost Weekender will take place on 16-18 October 2015, at Burwell House, near Cambridge (http://www.burwellhouse.com/)
The following announcement comes over the whisper-net and is followed up by précis reports through Radio Free Fae.
Please register here